Author Topic: stunning \"easter egger\"  (Read 4553 times)

stunning \"easter egger\"
« on: November 16, 2008, 10:39:38 PM »
here i go again.. help.. the pictures attached are of a young pullet that I hatched from some ameraucana I bought earlier this summer.  All of the birds that the \"breeder\" had were running together.  Her husband had become seriously ill and he couldn\'t help with taking care of their 100+ birds.  I helped this lady eliminate a lot of her outcrosses; and explained to her that to keep her bloodlines pure she must separate the different colors!
She is now down to around 30 birds, but I believe she is still running them all together!  I am not sure EXACTLY what hen and rooster were involved in the eggs I hatched.. I KNOW that there was a silver duckwing rooster and  I believe some splash hens, several blacks(originally from Paul smiths line)and some white hens (also originally from Paul Smiths lines)..  

What do you think was the cross that produced this hen.. unfortunately I lost the rest of the babies to a skunk attack last month.  This is the only surviving pullet.  The babies looked like they were splashes when they were really young.  tHIS HEN was hatched in July of this year.  Her white is very, very white.. almost light blue tinge to it.. her \"spots\" are blue and black.. the \"lacing\" around the wings is black.  Her coloration underneath her tail is more blue/gray than anything.

I understand, for all intent and purposes that this is an EE.. but.. it would be awesome to figure out her breeding and see if it breeds true.. gee.. a PROJECT!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND PATIENCE!!

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 11:04:08 PM »
okay,  I goofed.. the actual hatchdate on this pullet was june 2008.. I found her baby pics from aug 2008, she was 3 months old.. she sure looked like a splash from the front!  I did sell her because of the discoloration on her back.. I sold her as an EE..

hope this info helps!

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 11:53:37 PM »
I can\'t help you with genetics, but I must say, you are ritht, that is a stunning EE.  The prettiest one I\'ve seen.  Are you sure it\'s a hen?  Those look like hackle feathers on it and possibly some sickle feathers starting on the tail.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 09:16:40 AM »
well, at this point anything is possible.. it could be a rooster!!
\"it\" is not laying yet.. so  ...grin,giggle.. time will tell!!!  it is in a pen with 3 others we know are pullets.. and a gold laced \"silver/splash\" cockerel.. being very careful about labeling anything right now.. grin..

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 11:42:52 AM »
It looks like a cross between a white ameraucana and a silver pencilled wyandotte.

Jean
Jean

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 12:55:46 PM »
well.. the white ameraucana part is right.. grin.. the problem is i just don\'t know the background on the Silver duckwing roo. . and neither did the \"breeder\".  He looked like a silver duckwing (actually almost like the pic in abc photo section).. his comb was bigger, he has slate legs and muff and beard.. he was rather young when i last saw him (in august 2008) but.. i don\'t have a clue where he came from.. she bought him at a small feed store as a chick.

any ideas what to use as a rooster with her?  trying to preserve the coloration.. at least the lacing.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 07:07:38 AM »
You will have to cross the female with a silver duck wing male which is a silver male.  Then take a male from the cross that has some lacing and back cross to the mother. Then from the back cross offspring select a male and female with the best lacing and do a sibling cross.

Tim

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 10:26:12 PM »
sure is a beauty!