Author Topic: Egg Eating Cat  (Read 4978 times)

bantamhill

Egg Eating Cat
« on: January 06, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »
Anyone ever had a cat that ate eggs? I have one that I need to break of the habit. Any ideas?

Michael

Mike Gilbert

Egg Eating Cat
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 10:02:01 PM »
My past experiences with cats, the household type and otherwise, leads me to say they can\'t be trained or trusted.
Don\'t get me wrong, I love Oscar (orange furball) and Roscoe (our black hunter), but a cat just can\'t be trusted.   If I had an egg eater, he would be dispatched forthwith.

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
Egg Eating Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 01:00:09 AM »
I agree that cats are tough to train.  I heard a fellow say he trained a cat with an electronic collar, but I don\'t know how.  Cats are so sneaky to not do the deed when you\'re watching.  

Their sense of smell is not so good.  Maybe you could wire an egg...  I know someone else that trained the cats to stay off the counter by putting mouse traps on the counter.

I think the cat needs to move to the city.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

bantamhill

Egg Eating Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 06:35:33 AM »
My kids already had come up with the idea that the cat probably has to go, but I was wondering if anyone had ever tried anything that worked.

Michael

Egg Eating Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »
My orange tiger barn cat, happened to be with me one day last year while I was gathering eggs, and I dropped one.

He is such a pest now, that I have to make sure he is not in the coop when I gather eggs because he will swat at my hand to make me drop one.

I also have to hide from him when I put eggs down, if I\'m not going inside right away. He will knock them onto the ground so eat.

Its crazy, I\'m hiding from a cat!

Egg Eating Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 03:18:50 PM »
My house cat wont eat anything other than cat food.  Someone dropped a cat off here that lives in the barn.  He sneaks in with the chickens and hangs out with them all day.  I think he might think he is a chicken.  :rolleyes:

Egg Eating Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:47:16 PM »
Yes, I have what is an old barn cat now who learned to bat at any egg he found until it rolled and broke. I hadnt seen him doing it in years but we built a new shed last fall where we store straw and hay which one of my flocks discovered ... and so did he! Boy, does his coat shine!
I\'m sure you could discourage a cat with bad tasting booby-trapped eggs, but sure would be alot of effort.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Egg Eating Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 08:14:28 PM »
I was going to suggest booby trapping the eggs also!  I used hot sauce on my lamp cords one time to discourage my pet rabbit from chewing on them.  Boy did that rabbit hop!
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Egg Eating Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 05:39:15 PM »
A natural way to \"booby-trap\" eggs is to stash a few away until they go really bad. Then you can put them out for your cat to \'enjoy.\' That might cure the cat\'s hankering for eggs. However, if you don\'t already have some bad eggs to put out, the cat\'s egg-eating habit may become too ingrained before you get a chance to give your cat a \'taste\' of the cure.  :o
Good luck!