Author Topic: chick question  (Read 3286 times)

chick question
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:14:31 AM »
I recently purchased a trio of wheaton bantam Ameraucanas.   Their first egg hatched on Saturday.  The chick is dark brown with reddish tones.  Would this be a male?  Or should they all hatch light and this is really a mix of some sort?  The group is separated from the rest of my flock.

Karen

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
chick question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 03:54:22 PM »
They should be a light color.  Go to the homepage and click on pictures and you can find pictures of bantam wheaten chicks.

Jean
Jean

chick question
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 07:16:57 AM »
Jean,

The chick is either eb or birchen with Db. The chick is not wheaten. As you and Jean said, wheaten chicks will be whitish to yellowish in color.

Tim

chick question
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 03:06:38 PM »
Thanks  for the info...no, it didn\'t match up to any wheaton chick pictures that I had seen....so one of the parents must have had something else in their background??  (Can you tell that I am new at this? :)   )

Karen

chick question
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 03:18:37 PM »
\"eb\"??  

I was wondering if \"she\" could be brown/red?  I\'ll try to post a picture tonight.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
chick question
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 06:04:47 PM »
Karen,

You can\'t get a true brown red ameraucana from wheaten parents, that is if the parents are \"true\" wheaten amerauanas to start with.

I\'m thinking your hen was bred to another rooster or perhaps you got easter egger chickens.

Do your chickens look like the wheatens bantams in the photos provided by this site?

Jean
Jean

chick question
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 07:23:28 AM »
Since I just got this Wheaton trio....it IS very possible that another rooster was involved.  The trio that I have do look like the ones in photos on this site.

I\'ve attached a photo of the chick....she IS cute!!  What ever she turns out to be!

I have some other eggs for this trio due to hatch this weekend...we\'ll see what they look like.

Thanks for all the input.

Karen

Mike Gilbert

chick question
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 08:19:19 AM »
The chick is very similar in down color to black golds, but a variety of genetics can result in this down color.  My best guess would be that the chick has birchen and either dominant or recessive wheaten at the e loci.   In other words, split ( a hybrid).   Have fun raising this chick and try to post a picture when it is all feathered out, okay?   Thanks for sharing.