Author Topic: New here and some questions (long)  (Read 2466 times)

New here and some questions (long)
« on: February 20, 2008, 11:39:32 AM »
Hello all-

I am new here and have a bunch of questions. I plan on starting my own flock of Ameraucana\'s to breed, sell fertile eggs, and chicks all later down the line. I am just starting out so don\'t have any birds yet. Am starting off from scratch w/ chicks. Right now I have a lot of eggs in the incubator w/ more on the way. I have many of the chicks sold and plan to keep a bunch for my future breeding program.

I was told by someone I just recently bought eggs from that I need to get a mentor. Is there anyone located in Ca. that would be willing to mentor me? I am located in the San Jose Bay Area. If noone is close to me but would be willing to mentor me over the phone or via email w/ questions I might have in the future that would be wonderful.

Many of the eggs I have in the incubator I noted whether the egg color was a blue-green or closer to a blue. I figured if the bluer ones hatched I\'d keep those hoping that, that chick if it turned out to be a female would be more likely to have a bluer egg when it started laying. Is that true or am I totally off my rocker, on my thinking?

What color birds of this breed tend to lay the bluer eggs, as that is what I\'d like to concentrate on having? I read somewhere on line that Silvers tend to have the best egg color. I can\'t find that file anywhere now. It was a pdf file. If anyone knows what I am talking about if you could please refer me to where that is would really appreciate it. I\'d also like to concentrate on the white and blue colored birds too. Which colored birds of this breed are the least common (or rare)?

As for sexing can the chicks be feather sexed as day olds? As I have read on other sites that you need fast feather and slow feathering parents to feather sex. Can that be accomplished in this breed? And if so how is that done? As for regular sexing usually at how many weeks can  you tell if you have a pullet or cockerel?

I have heard of culling birds out of a flock. What exactly does that mean? I am assuming that means killing the birds that don\'t meant the Ameraucana breed requirement, correct? Of the birds that don\'t meet the requirement if you are able to sell to people that only want them for pleasure or egg laying will you do that instead of killing them? If you cull the birds do you then eat them yourselves? And at what age do you usually cull at?

I am sure I will have lots more questions, but that\'s all I can think of for now.

Thanks
Kim

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:19:23 PM »
Just a note--Did you get your eggs from Ameraucana breeders who belong to this club? If you got them from a normal hatchery, you probably will have Easter Eggers & won\'t be able to show them.
Best wishes, & welcome to the fun world of Ameraucanas!
Laura

John

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:00:33 PM »
Kim,
When you get some time use the Search button on this forum and you\'ll get many of the answers to your questions and to some you haven\'t thought about yet.  Use search words like \"cull\", \"sexing\", etc.  Here are a couple topics I found to get you started:
http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=568
http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=147
http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=171
Also check out the History page and FAQ page of the Ameraucana.org site.  Also check out the chart on the FAQ page on my ChickHatchery.com site for my comparisons of varieties.
http://chickhatchery.com/FAQ.html#Five

bantamhill

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 12:26:59 PM »
Kim,

Lyne Peterson is in California as well as Don Cable (Sacramento area) who was one of our founding members. Contact me for more information.

On eggs you are hatching mark and track the chicks from the best colored eggs. Any of these that are cockerels you will want to use to head your breeding pens, especially if they are of very good type. A pullet that hatches from a blue egg may or may not lay a blue egg . . . remember that part of the genes come from the cock.

If you are looking for LF I would suggest Silver or Wheaten, but check with the breeder, there are some very good lines of shell color in the other varieties. For the bantam I find the white, wheaten/blue wheaten and silver have nice color . . . again I would check with the breeder.

I do not know of any lines of Ameraucana with the slow feathering gene . . .

Culling means to remove the bird from from the flock. Some folks butcher, some sell to folks who butcher. I am not a person who butchers so I cannot offer any practical suggestions. Most people who butcher select by weight or purpose (stew hens, etc. for older birds). I know some who skin the birds and others that save only breast meet off of bantams. I am sure an internet search would yield some recommendations.

Michael