Author Topic: What color is this?  (Read 3603 times)

jerryse

What color is this?
« on: December 08, 2010, 11:28:32 AM »
This resulted from an Araucana X EE mating.  This is not blue splash, as no blues were produced.  No hens or pullets were produced with this color.  The barring came from the EE.  The first picture is of this cross.  The second picture is of a game cock with similar markings that I found on the net.

Mike Gilbert

What color is this?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 11:55:31 AM »
Jerry, I\'m not seeing any barring in that bird.   Did either of the parent birds have any \"blue\" in their plumage?  How many chicks were hatched from the same mating?  Coloring of siblings?

jerryse

What color is this?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 04:39:11 PM »
the cock was sold to me at the sale barn as a splash bantam araucana.There were two young cockeralsThey turned out not to be bantam and never prouduced a blue when mated to the black hens and dominate white/black hens.So I would have say they were not splash .I was guessing exchanger pattern.The barring is hard to see on this pic but is there and he has white/ slate spotted legs like the cuckoo that came out of another cross.I can try to post more pics whith my wifes help later.This was our first pics success

Mike Gilbert

What color is this?
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 05:27:30 PM »
Jerry, it could be Exchequer, but there is some other dilution gene at work too.   Exchequer should be just black and white, but there are a lot of grey feathers on that bird.   If there is dominant white in the background, maybe smokey?

jerryse

What color is this?
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 07:14:56 PM »
First pic shows the barring but not very well.Second is a sibling without barring.Sorry but it got fuzzy during strech and skew.I am unable post a pic of the araucana as the pic is in bitmap and not jpeg.There is nothing to see if I get it down to 50kb.

jerryse

What color is this?
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »
yes there is dominate white and smokey turned up out of these hens and another roo.Remember the dirty white I had at Frankfort that I thought might be lavender/dom white?

Mike Gilbert

What color is this?
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 08:30:07 PM »
Why not breed him to a black and see if you can get rid of the smokey and barring?  Then I think you might have something worth breeding.

jerryse

What color is this?
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 11:11:04 AM »
That is my plan for now.I like the splashed pattern.In the early days some would have called it multi colored but we have come a long way since then.