Author Topic: Blue Wheaten discussion  (Read 2663 times)

Birch Run Farm

Blue Wheaten discussion
« on: December 31, 2010, 10:10:41 AM »
My first batches of a specific breeding are growing up.  These chicks are out of one pair of blue wheaten birds and no apparent wheatens resulted.  One batch is three weeks younger.  When the chicks were feathering in some people felt the male (Teddy) was a splash.  

He\'s four months old now and is getting an orange head and he looks blue to me but it is much lighter than his daddy.

Am I safe to conclude Teddy is a blue wheaten and not a splash?  Would he be suitable as a breed sire based on his lighter coloring?

Here is his brother that is three weeks younger.  He too appears to be a light colored blue wheaten?

A younger sister, Owl, same age as the younger cockerel above.

Couple more pullet pics.  All of the pullets have identical coloring but vary some in size.

Owl and her hatchling brother.

This hen is the biological mother to these two batches of chicks.

The sire as a cockerel in 2009.

I have only seen blue wheaten males to be dark blue like this one.  Comments are appreciated.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Blue Wheaten discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 11:55:03 AM »
My opinion would be that at this point and with a light colored chick at hatch there is no way to determine if he is splash or blue.

I have found that when you breed blue to blue you get many varying shades of blue offspring.  I have also seen splash chicks (cockerels) grow up to look a very light blue even a tad darker than your cockerel with no white on them whatsoever.  

If you feel you want to breed your bird, I would choose a wheaten pullet/hen to pair him up with to get some darker modifiers back into the line.  Right now he is very light and he has quite a bit of leakage in his breast area.

All your hens/pullets look to be blue wheaten or splash wheaten.
Jean