Author Topic: On Line Magazine  (Read 3585 times)

Mike Gilbert

On Line Magazine
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:07:41 PM »
I know some of you/us are still working to create new varieties of Ameraucana chickens and bantams.   A friend of mine, Ann Charles of Mena, Arkansas, publishes a free online magazine about exhibition poultry, and I consider it to be very well done.   The January 2011 issue is now available at http://exhibitionpoultry.net .   At her request I had written a short article about the topic of creating new breeds and varieties, and it is included in the current issue at page 16.  Even though Ameraucanas are not specifically mentioned I thought some of you might be interested in checking out the magazine.  It has show results, ads, lots of color pictures, and a number of articles worth reading.

Beth C

On Line Magazine
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:56:57 AM »
Thanks, Mike! Great article, and the magazine looks like a good resource, especially for those of us just getting into exhibition - just bookmarked it.

QUADCH

On Line Magazine
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:28:59 PM »
Nice article Mike and nice work on the Partridge Chanteclers.  Did anything ever become of that bantam buff wyandotte trio??

Mike Gilbert

On Line Magazine
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:33:53 AM »
Lori, I am also working on Buff Chantecler bantams, but it\'s still very early in that project.  The Wyandottes have moved on to a new home.   I have young birds with cushion combs, pea combs, even one rose comb.  Color is not bad, but body type is way off at this point.  It will be years before they are ready to show.   Even on the partridge, the tails and saddles are not right yet.  But I have the project birds needed to make the necessary improvements.  It just takes a lot of time.
And how are you doing on the buff columbian project?

QUADCH

On Line Magazine
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 10:19:55 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
And how are you doing on the buff columbian project?

I made some progress. I didn\'t use brahmas like most people do, so type was good from the start. Buff color was good too, it was just a matter of pattern, F1\'s were pretty darn good, as expected F2\'s were all over the map as to columbian pattern, but type and buff color were still good. I have passed the torch to Dave Lefeber. He was thrilled to take over and got all my birds. He is crossing his BC\'s in now. I know he will do right by them. I needed the room for more Ameraucana :)

Did you happen to see the bantam partridge Wyandotte cockerel @ Iowa City? WOW!

Sorry, this may be too much Wyandotte talk for this forum.

grisaboy

On Line Magazine
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 12:24:23 PM »
Mike,
I enjoyed your article about developing Chanticlers.
To me, working on developing or improving less common varieties of poultry is the most interesting part of this hobby.  You pointed out that it took Brother Wilfrid 14 years to develop Chanticlers.  This amount of time committment required to develop a variety is not appreciated by many poultry fanciers today.  Many of our Ameraucana varieties are still a work in progress and I am sure this article will help new breeders understand that it may still take years of improvements to get these varieties to meet our standard requirements.  Thanks for illuminating this issue.

Curtis

Cloverleaf Farm

On Line Magazine
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 02:52:59 PM »
Speaking of Chanteclers...I picked up a crele Chantecler cockerel at a show last month, and am planning on working on those...getting white hatching eggs from Tony Albritton in March to get him some females.  Pretty excited, he\'s an awfully nice roo! ;)

eliz

On Line Magazine
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »
Remember this boy from the Wa. show.... This Crele is really nicely built....Congratulations too on becoming the PNW Representative.....eliz

Beth C

On Line Magazine
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 01:04:08 PM »
He\'s stunning!

Cloverleaf Farm

On Line Magazine
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 01:17:12 PM »
Quote from: eliz
Remember this boy from the Wa. show.... This Crele is really nicely built....Congratulations too on becoming the PNW Representative.....eliz

Thank you!