Author Topic: The incredible shrinking eggs? What\'s up?  (Read 3399 times)

Providence Hill

The incredible shrinking eggs? What\'s up?
« on: March 11, 2011, 11:12:19 AM »
My daughter has been getting some lovely blue eggs from her little flock of bantam wheaten & black pullets, but today she found something that looked just exactly like a robin\'s egg.  Even stranger, yesterday she also found a very small egg, although not as small as today\'s.  In the photo (sorry it\'s blurry) you can see one of her normal eggs, followed by yesterday\'s, followed by today\'s (with a dime for reference).  What\'s going on?  Will whoever is laying these eggs go back to laying normal ones again?  This is their first spring laying, if that makes a difference.  Sorry I couldn\'t capture the color, they really are a very pretty blue.  She wants to save the tiny one, but I\'m not sure I can blow out an egg that small without crushing it!

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 11:25:30 AM »
\"Peanut eggs\" are not that unusual.   I\'m not sure what causes them, but usually the eggs from that hen will return to normal after they take a break from the laying cycle.  

Providence Hill

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 11:30:28 AM »
Oh good!  Although it was charming to find one so small.  The kids thought a robin had somehow gotten into the coop.

Birch Run Farm

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 06:43:26 PM »
That\'s an egg fart.  

Korfus Kluckers

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 06:45:02 PM »
Quote from: Birch Run Farm
That\'s an egg fart.  

LOL that is what I call them to.

tinadinkins

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »
I have also heard them called fart eggs unstead of an egg fart but my grandma always called them a starter egg which I think sounds better.  Anyway, you don\'t have to blow it out, it will dry out on its own. Just put it in a safe place where it gets air and it will dry out on its own in time.

dak

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »
I have about seven of these drying out.  I sniff them occasionally to make sure they don\'t blow up in my kitchen cabinet.

jerryse

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 10:02:35 AM »
They are caused by tissue flakeing off.The body then adds egg white and a shell just as if it were a real egg but smaller since the piece of tissue is small.