Author Topic: Bantam Reds  (Read 3757 times)

John

Bantam Reds
« on: January 10, 2006, 09:14:05 PM »
Here are a couple photos that Jim sent to me to scan in and post.

Bantam Reds
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 11:14:34 PM »
Hi John , Do you know how many generations these are away from his first crosses? They look very promising. Thurman

Quote from: John
Here are a couple photos that Jim sent to me to scan in and post.

Bantam Reds
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 12:50:46 AM »
Hello
Thanks John for posting the pictures.
I think I have been working on the reds for 7 years, Time sure flies when you are working on something like this, I started with Buff Ameraucanas crossed with RIR bantams, after the first cross I have been slecting the best and breeding from them each year. Each year I am more slective on what goes in the breeding pen, Still have a ways to go yet. Would like to get some other people interested in them.
Jim

bantamhill

Bantam Reds
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 10:24:34 AM »
Jim,

I love them and have been working on red bantam Ameraucana for 2 years, this will be by third season with them . . . I will help all that I can!

Michael Muenks

faith valley

Bantam Reds
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 11:13:58 AM »
Jim,

Those are fabulous! You have combined that rich RIR coloring on an ameraucana- the best of both worlds.  absolutely breathtaking... How is the egg color coming with them?  What are your current challenges with them?

You certainly have a flock to be proud of- I\'d love to work on a project like that one.

~Patty~

John

Bantam Reds
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 12:37:06 PM »
Just to let you know that Jim is not new to Ameraucanas - he originally joined the club in 1982!

Bantam Reds
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 01:36:53 PM »
They are good looking birds.

What are you trying to improve in your reds?

Rooster

Bantam Reds
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 03:29:05 PM »
I love them! I have one male that is of RIR coloration, but he carries an unusual defect which is genetic and I do not breed him.

Are the hens at a similar point of development? I would love to see what the hens look like!

Bantam Reds
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 10:40:56 AM »
Hello again
Thank you for your kind words about my red Ameraucanas,
To answer your questions, Egg color was very good, I was only getting nice blue eggs and that was no longer my greatest concern, Well I am guessing that 2 years ago I must have used a male carring the brown egg gene as this year I have a higher percentage of green eggs then I have had. Once I started getting blue eggs I never hatched from anything but blue, Also I got some willow legs, have not had them for several years, so that is a new issue, what I didn\'t get this last year was single comb, that has been a on going fight and from three parrings , NO single comb, I am sure it is still out there, but I think I am gaining on it,
My hens are just as nice as the males, maybe a shade lighter, but type is very nice, I am getting some black ticking on their  backs. and sometimes I get a mottled bird
The males tail carriage could be a little  better, some are a little high and shoirt, some a little low and fuller, working on getting thge right tail.
Anyone interested in working on the Reds please contact me, I have worried about something happening to my flock and then all this work would be gone, I would also like to see this color accepted as a Ameraucana color, but for that we need 5 breeders working on them for 5 years and a qualifying meet