Author Topic: Blue Bantams  (Read 3222 times)

Mike Gilbert

Blue Bantams
« on: August 02, 2012, 11:14:25 AM »
Having decided to concentrate soley on the brown red variety in large and bantam Ameraucanas, I am offering my remaining flock of blue bantams to someone who will promise to work with them long term.  I have only one 2011 hatch cock, two 2010 hens, and two 2012 pullets left.   Also included is the best 2012 black pullet out of the blues if the buyer wants her.  I can deliver these to Portage, WI, in September, Sedalia, MO (our ABC National), or Lucasville, OH, in October (the APA National).   I will accept any reasonable best offer.
Please don't ask for photos now, as the older birds are moulting and the young birds are not yet finished out.   They should all be prime by late September.   I also have one remaining blue wheaten bantam hen, 2010 hatch and still a good producer, to be sold seperately.    Bob Walchak recently decided to get out of the brown red bantams since he had poor luck with them this year, so it was decided maybe I better start raising more brown reds to help keep them from extinction.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:29:13 PM by Mike Gilbert »

Korfus Kluckers

Re: Blue Bantams
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 01:30:52 AM »
Having decided to concentrate soley on the brown red variety in large and bantam Ameraucanas, I am offering my remaining flock of blue bantams to someone who will promise to work with them long term.  I have only one 2011 hatch cock, two 2010 hens, and two 2012 pullets left.   Also included is the best 2012 black pullet out of the blues if the buyer wants her.  I can deliver these to Portage, WI, in September, Sedalia, MO (our ABC National), or Lucasville, OH, in October (the APA National).   I will accept any reasonable best offer.
Please don't ask for photos now, as the older birds are moulting and the young birds are not yet finished out.   They should all be prime by late September.   I also have one remaining blue wheaten bantam hen, 2010 hatch and still a good producer, to be sold seperately.    Bob Walchak recently decided to get out of the brown red bantams since he had poor luck with them this year, so it was decided maybe I better start raising more brown reds to help keep them from extinction.

I still have them Mike. I have quite a few nice bantams almost finished out. The large fowl are coming along, but a little slower. The were laying very well and both the females I got from you went in a hard molt? So, I will be hatching over winter again  ::)

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »
The better layers seem to molt hard and fast.     Glad to hear you are raising some brown reds, but what did the Orpington cross do to egg color?     I think crossing with a large black Ameraucana might have yielded quicker results.   Have had a few inquiries about the blue bantams, and the blue wheaten hen is now promised.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:51:33 PM »
And now the blue bantams are promised as well.   I'm sold out of Ameraucanas for this year.

Korfus Kluckers

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »
I used a Orpington male from a line that produced almost a white eggs. Some of the hens from that Orpington line had a light rose colored cast. I have other lines that lay a very dark brown eggs, but shied away from that. He was a very large male, and not overly fluffy. I did not want to over do the Ameraucanas. I plan to do several breeding's with these and down the road cross to a nice, large line of black Ameraucanas with good egg color once I need the new blood.