Author Topic: Black Gold bantams  (Read 4276 times)

Mike Gilbert

Black Gold bantams
« on: August 19, 2014, 02:38:14 PM »
In a concession to advancing age and its' associated issues I have decided to disperse my remaining black gold bantams along with a number of other breeds and varieties.   For the benefit of those who may not be familiar with the black gold color pattern, it is basically a heavily laced and shafted brown red.   Brown reds do not and will not breed 100% true nor will these.   Nor will blues or blue wheatens for that matter.  I would like to turn these over to some ABC member who would commit to keeping them going, and hopefully would share enough with others that they might be eligible for recognition as a standard variety some day.
If you feel you are that person, please send me a p.m. here or an email.   The remaining stock consists of but one cockerel and three pullets, but it is a simple matter to cross these with brown reds to get more of the same.   They are basically the "gold version" of the Silver Sussex color pattern if you will.   Here are some photos of black gold bantams and Silver Sussex large fowl.  There is some variability in the pattern, as there is with most multicolored patterns.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:57:57 PM by Mike Gilbert »

DeWayne Edgin

Re: Black Gold bantams
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:55:22 PM »
Mike i only raise large fowl and i want to breed these in large fowl after i get my new Brown Reds. I want to have both brown reds and black gold large fowl. I think you said to use brown reds and buffs to make black golds. I had an email with the breeding pairs in , but i lost it when i was hacked. So do you only use buff one time and then keep using brown red till you get to the black gold? Thanks.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:22:40 PM »
Mike i only raise large fowl and i want to breed these in large fowl after i get my new Brown Reds. I want to have both brown reds and black gold large fowl. I think you said to use brown reds and buffs to make black golds. I had an email with the breeding pairs in , but i lost it when i was hacked. So do you only use buff one time and then keep using brown red till you get to the black gold? Thanks.

That is correct.   You should get some in the second generation if you breed the splits back to brown reds.  From there it is a matter of breeding enough numbers and careful selection.

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:21:29 AM »
Thanks Mike.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »

As anticipated, there has been zero interest or response to the offer of a quad of black gold bantams.    They will be sold for meat to the local Asian buyers.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 04:33:29 PM »

As anticipated, there has been zero interest or response to the offer of a quad of black gold bantams.    They will be sold for meat to the local Asian buyers.

Maybe you should try the bulletin first.  There may be people who don't come here that will see the bulletin.....
Jean

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 07:03:17 PM »
Mike don`t sell them for meat. Maybe we can work something in November if you are still going to the show. I will call you soon. If noone else wants to keep them, i will. I have lots more room and lumber. I will build another pen. I just need to see about their ride to and from the show. Thanks.