Author Topic: Ameraucana with pink eggs?  (Read 6993 times)

Ameraucana with pink eggs?
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:26:45 PM »
I was recently looking around at this years availability of Ameraucana\'s (eggs and birds).  I came across a distributor called QC supply (www.QCSupply.com) and they advertise Ameraucana (spelled correctly) chicks.  They say Ameraucana\'s also go by the name easter eggs chickens and some of these birds can lay pink eggs.  Is this something I am missing?  I thought Ameraucana\'s could only lay blue eggs, if so how do they get away with selling something labeled Ameraucana’s that isn\'t.  What are these guys selling?

Confused!

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 12:47:00 PM »
Well, if you KEEP looking at hatcheries & their \"Ameraucanas\", you\'ll keep finding the same thing, trust me!! It\'s Very difficult to find a reputible breeder of \"real\" Ameraucanas rather than Easter Eggers, that are nearby,pretty frustrating! I found a few here that are about 3 hours or so from me, however! Good luck!  :D

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 06:59:39 PM »
What the hatcheries are advertising are \"Easter Eggers.\" These are not pure-bred Ameraucanas, but mongrels resulting from crossing either Ameraucanas or Araucanas with another breed, usually RIR or Leghorn. If you see a bird advertised as an \"Americana,\" it\'s an Easter Egger.

A pure-bred Ameraucana lays sky-blue eggs, has a \"beard\" and muffs.

Even within varities -- crossing an Ameraucana Silver with a Wheaten will produce a non-recognized variety and it\'s considered an \"Easter Egger.\"

There\'s nothing wrong with \"Easter Eggers,\" per se -- as long as you know that 1) they\'re mongrels; 2) they do not qualify to be entered in poultry shows; 3) you know what you\'re buying; and 4) if you\'re selling/giving them away, you\'re honest and open about what they are.

I just hatched out 20 birds -- most of them are Easter Eggers, resulting from crossing Ameraucana Silver roosters with RIR hens. The remainder are at least 67% possibility of being Silver/Wheaten crosses; I might have one or two pure-bred Silvers -- I\'ll know when they feather out.

To properly breed pure-breds, you would want one rooster and 10 hens of each of your chosen varieties; and if you want to prevent mixing, you\'d have to keep the flocks separated.

--Ron

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 09:24:10 PM »

Yep folks will advertise just about anything..sometimes the farther fetched, the better the sales!!
We actually Do have a han that lays \"Pink\" eggs..but she is NOT an Ameraucana, she is called  \"Pitt Game\", the \"pink\" color is actually a shade of brown, like you get from Buff Orpingtons, but lighter..perhaps the reason they look pink.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 06:40:56 AM »

I have peafowl and we name Split the individuals borned from 2 different varieties . I think EE and mongrels are different than Split Ameraucana .

John

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 10:27:52 AM »
I think EE and mongrels are different than Split Ameraucana .

In 2005 the Board of Directors voted to accept the EE definition that is found on the FAQ page of the website.
As an ABC officer and club member I accept that definition, but personally had and have reservations.  If your Peafowl are classified like Turkeys in our APA Standard, then all Peafowl are the same breed - Peafowl.  You then have different varieties and if you cross two varieties you still get Peafowl, but generally crossing two varieties result in offspring that would not be of any recognized variety.  They would be mixed or \"split\" for variety only.
All our Turkeys are classified under the same \"breed\" - Turkey, but there are several varieties.
Likewise the only breed of Guinea Fowl is Guinea Fowl, but there are different varieties.  
With chickens there isn\'t a breed called \"chicken\", but rather many dozens of breeds.  Some breeds only have one variety and sometimes, as in the case of Vorwerks, the variety name is the same as the breed name.  Most breeds come in more than one variety.
If you cross two breeds of chickens you still get chickens, but here the offspring are mongrels because they are no longer a recognized \"breed\"
The only concern I have with our ABC EE definition is that when two show quality Ameraucana chickens of different varieties are crossed the offspring would be considered Easter Egg chickens, even though they may fit the Standard\'s breed description perfectly.  It would be like crossing two German Shepherd dogs of different colors and saying the pups that don\'t fit an AKA description are mongrels.
Of course if an animal doesn\'t met both a breed and variety it should not be shown.  It is just my opinion that an animal can fully fulfill a breed Standard description without meeting a variety description.  
Last year I crossed a silver Ameraucana with a wheaten Ameraucana.  The offspring are both \"split\" for wild-type/recessive wheaten and also silver/gold.  They are not showable, even as an AOV variety, but boy if you can get past the colors those Easter Eggers sure look like Ameraucana chickens.  They were bred for a propose to be used in breeding programs this year to hopefully make improvements to both original varieties.  Time will tell.
No, I\'m not out to change the ABC\'s EE definition.    

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 11:18:29 AM »

In peafowl we mate Bronze ( recessive gene ) with Cameo ( recessive gene ) the offspring will Blue ( wilde type colour ) but they carry Bronze and Cameo genes .
 In Ameraucana is not the same because some matings do not give standard colours but I think is not the same one offspring from 2 Ameraucana parents and one from EE x Ameraucana .
 By dog Standard , I breed Portuguese Water Dog , here in Portugal and Europe we are not allow to have more than 30% white on black and brown dogs and USA have paddy colour , white with spots on boddy . Here we can have whites but not with markings .