Author Topic: F2 lavender started birds  (Read 4439 times)

John

F2 lavender started birds
« on: June 04, 2006, 04:31:15 PM »
I have about 2 dozen extra bantam lavenders.  If you want some let me know ASAP...because I am going to a swap meet in the morning to get rid of 100 or so rejects.  These lavender birds have muffs, slate legs and either walnut or rose combs.  They are 1/2 Ameraucana, 1/4 OEG & 1/4 d\'Anver.
I can put about 4 in a box.  Pay me $25 for 4 birds and box, then pay the shipping & surcharge COD.  I would rather sell them to breeders to help develop lavender Ameraucanas for a low price than almost give them away as bantam meat birds that need to be feed for a few more months.

John

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 09:54:14 AM »
David and I just got back from the swap meet.  We sold 141 rejects (culls), but I kept 3 trios of lavenders in case someone is interested. :)

John

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 04:39:53 PM »
Here are a couple photos by request.  Some are quite young yet.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 11:18:57 AM »
John If I put a set in a pin with some chicks woul they hurt my
Chicks hatching some Araucana eggs I got on ebay

John

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 11:28:42 AM »
I doubt it, if I understand correctly.  These are not aggressive and shouldn\'t bother a hen on a nest or with her chicks.  The broody hen should even keep the cockerels at bay if they have any ideas about her.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 09:07:28 PM »
Broody hens CAN be very aggressive, so it just depends.   Personally, if I really valued those chicks - you didn\'t say how old they were - I would put the chicks and the broody hen in  seperate pens.    I have seen broody hens kill a lot of chicks, including some of their own.

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 09:18:13 AM »
I am hatching the Araucana eggs now they are due on the 21st I got the eggs on ebay I build a new pen for the Araucana`s didnt want to mix them with my easter eggers and wanted to know if i bought a couple of Johns Chickens if i can put them in the pen with the chicks

John

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 11:16:41 AM »
Mine are 2 or 3 months old and shouldn\'t be in with chicks in a brooder.  When the Araucanas are older they can be put together.

grisaboy

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 01:59:21 PM »
I have a question.
Part of the process to get a variety added to the standard  includes verifying that we have had the variety for at least 5 years.  How do we verify this?
Now that some of have some Lavendar Ameraucanas, even if they are not quite where we want them to be, can we start counting?
OR, Do we have to they exist by entering them in a show?

Just curious.

Curtis

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 10:25:02 AM »
In response to the question about qualification of a new breed or variety, the full and official details are in the APA bylaws, which are printed in each copy of the APA yearbook.  In a nutshell:

Applications are made to the APA proposing the new breed or variety, and require the following items:

•   Application fee (currently $50 per variety, but look for this to increase some time soon)
•   Proposed breed or variety description, written in a style that matches the current Standard
•   Signed affidavits from at least 5 breeders stating that they have each bred the breed or variety for 5 years, and that they breed at least 50% true.  This is the confirmation, in theory, of the 5 year rule, and the APA generally takes the affidavit signer’s word.  There have been some shenanigans in the past, however, and so the APA may begin contacting affidavit signers to confirm what they indicate on the paperwork.
•   Show certificates, which are essentially forms that are completed to document that the breed or variety has been shown at APA sanctioned shows over the past two years.  The APA may contact the judge placing the birds to discuss their quality and other items.

Once the Standard Committee reviews all of this, and determines everything is in order, then they set the date and place for the qualifying meet.  That is where the supporters of the new breed or variety need to put at least 50 birds on display, with birds shown in each class (cock, hen, cockerel, pullet).  The qualifying meet judge (chosen by the Standard Committee) judges the meet and makes his or her recommendation to the Standard Committee and APA board as to whether the breed or variety merits admission to the Standard.  The APA board has the final vote on the matter.

With specific regard to the “Lavender” variety, this should be pretty straightforward.  The convention in the ABA and APA is to call this version “Self Blue” and so the text would likely match what we already have available.  The real work would be getting the 50 birds of sufficient quality to display at a qualifying meet.  Most qualifying meets have been successful, but there have been a few where they had enough birds, but they were turned down for inadequate type/color.  

For other questions, please feel free to contact Sam Brush at slbrush@verizon.net  

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 09:58:54 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Sam.   Good to know you are still lurking around the Forum.