Author Topic: Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?  (Read 6755 times)

Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« on: June 15, 2006, 06:59:58 PM »
Only 2 out of the dozen Blue Wheatens  I incubated
hatched, 6 were infertile and 4 were dead in their shells. One came out of a very narrow, long, torpedo-shaped egg, and has done nothing but peep non-stop, and has it\'s right leg extended out to the side.  In my experiance the chicks that have peeped constantly like that usually don\'t make it. Anyone have any experiance w/ such shaped eggs & the chicks that result from them? And are Ameraucanas more difficult to rear or less fertile than most breeds? Seems finding  them is often very difficult.

Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 07:30:53 PM »
It\'s been my experience with Ameraucana that they are very fertile.  The roos are eager breeders and keep the ladies taken care of.  They aren\'t any less fertile than other breeds...there just aren\'t as many breeders out there yet.

I\'ve hatched a few of the torpedo shaped eggs you refer to and didn\'t have any problems.

Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 07:47:01 PM »
Well, good to know. I was wondering if the shape of the egg had maybe hindered the chick\'s development. Never encountered an egg that shape before, lol !  As far as Ameraucana breeders, indeed there aren\'t many breeders out there !  I  am relativly new to the poultry world, but when I got into it, I had read on several poultry sites that Ameraucana breeders are \"eliteist\" & snobbish. I have not found that to be the case, just not many OF them!  ;)

Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 01:04:09 AM »
I\'m sorry I didn\'t see your post earlier--perhaps some of my experience might have been of help, but probably not this late.
One of my chicks that hatched around April in an incubator held one leg out like that. It hunkered down & bore its weight on the other leg mostly, and used the \"sideways\" leg for propulsion. I think this condition is called \"spraddled-legged.\"
My observation was that it wasn’t caused by a chick being incapable of correct positioning. The chick’s brain had just gotten incorrect ideas by extended practice with its legs in the wrong position. With my 1st such chick, it was caused by him taking a long time to hatch from the egg. (The membrane got dry & he struggled a number of hours before I decided he\'d built up enough of his system \"working\" to hatch & the best thing was to take the risk of helping him out of his shell.) I wonder if the shape of your chick’s shell put his leg in an unusual position as he practiced pushing and extending it while hatching.
I noticed my chick’s problem right away upon his hatching and started trying \"physical therapy\" to reprogram his brain on how to use his legs.
I rotated his sideways knee and foot with one hand such that the leg was underneath him. With the other hand, I shifted his weight onto the normally sideways leg. He normally liked to hunker down on his normally weight-bearing leg, but not his \"sideways\" leg, so when I\'d hold him like this, his \"weight-bearing\" leg was often up in the air next to his body where it shouldn\'t be. However, his \"sideways\" leg began to get the feel of how to bear weight and point ahead. And when he struggled on his own (or sometimes I\'d jostle him lightly to encourage this), he had to extend his \"weight-bearing\" leg in his efforts (I also pushed down on the top of that foot sometimes to help).
After 2-3 days, as he gained strength and correctness, I started moving him at a walk with his legs held correctly under him.
I did therapy sessions about 4-6 times a day for 5-15 mins. for about 6 days (plus just a few times after that) and he got the idea. I was sooooooooo pleased! Within 2 weeks, you couldn’t tell him from the other chicks.
Unfortunately, I had a 2nd spraddle-legged chick that hatched under a hen that didn’t do so well. I was preoccupied while the hen was sitting the eggs and didn’t get them moved from the slick-floored nest until a day or two after he hatched. He couldn’t get a good grip on the smooth floor, and learned that his only successful mode of transportation was sitting down and putting his leg(s) to the side to kind of squirm around. Someone else moved the chick, hen and other egg for me to a normal area for rearing chicks, and the problem wasn’t really spotted until the chick was about 3 days old.
I tried therapy. It helped some, but the chick’s brain was already pretty strongly programmed. He would rotate his “sideways” hip very severely as he got older. My husband helped me construct a masking tape & paper towel “brace” to hold his legs in close together. However, as he rotated his hips & turned his knees in more, it didn’t help. I put stiff cardboard on the connecting section to hold his knees apart so his hips wouldn’t rotate, but he learned to lean into the brace and rely on it in figuring how to walk.
I tried for a few weeks but the night I found his mother and brother had progressed to perching in the rafters together while he sat on the floor, we had to put him down. It was very sad. I will be very careful about ensuring my chicks have good footing in the future from the get-go.
I’m so sorry for your chick’s problem. It is hard to see something like that in a little guy. I wish you the best and hope your other chick does well.
It is a pleasure to read your messages on the board. They are very caring and uplifting.
Best wishes to you  :)

Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 08:53:23 AM »
Spradle leg is caused by a rotation of the tibia bone. It can be caused by a Mycoplasm infection or an inability to get firm footing after hatch. As Specklehills stated, it can be corrected with a brace between the two legs. Normally  spradle leg effects both legs if the condition is due to unsure footing. One spradle leg is probably a congenital defect.

Tim

If you want to learn some chicken genetics go to :
http://home.earthlink.net/~100chickens/id5.html  

Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 09:12:02 PM »
Well, it was just one leg, & he didn\'t make it.

Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 11:00:31 AM »
It is a commonly held belief (and for all I know a scientifically \"proven\" fact) that egg shape does affect hatchability ... the rounder the better.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 01:30:07 PM »
I just wanted to let you know that I bought 24 blue wheaten hatching eggs from (I believe) the same person.  Three of them were rotten, 20 of them were infertile and one developed only to die in the last part of incubation.  Not very good huh?

I would not recommend this person to anyone that is looking to hatch eggs.  I let them know about the rotten eggs and they did not offer to send more eggs to help out the situation.

I really think we need to help each other out to get our flocks going because in a few years I do not feel we will be able to ship chicks or eggs like we do now.  We will only be able to get them from local people.  Chicken breeders will probably become a novelty as this NAIDS is going put a big dent in our pocket.  Especially if we have to start chipping all the birds.

Jean
Jean

John

Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 02:35:49 PM »
Buying hatching eggs is always a gamble.  If I couldn\'t ship chicks, I would probably offer hatching eggs as a last resort to help breeders get the birds they want.
I have refused to sell hatching eggs because there are just too many things that can go wrong and I don\'t need the bad reputation that the sellers often get.  The sellers responsibility ends when they hand the eggs over to the Post Office, unless some other guarantee is made.
To get the best birds for your money buy Show Quality adult  birds.  Next best are started birds, then chicks and as a last resort hatching eggs.  Remember that when you buy eggs, chicks or started birds you are not buying show quality stock.  They may be from show quality birds and you may end up with some, but only mature birds are show quality.
Many in the club that offer hatching eggs are friends of mine and I refer people to them that approach me wanting eggs.  Over the past two years I\'ve bought hatching eggs from several different club members with varying degrees of success.  I don\'t fault the sellers for poor hatches and know that it can\'t me my fault, so have decided to always put the blame on the Post Office. ;) (he said in jest)

Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 04:40:45 PM »
 :o  WOW... 20 out of 24 were infertile???  I would think that is more than a little bit bad...
I just wanted to add,  I didn\'t buy from anyone I have seen here ( I WOULD have, had I FOUND any...  :p )

Mike Gilbert

Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 05:38:24 PM »
Personally, I prefer shipping (or receiving) started birds.
Besides being a better gamble than hatching eggs, many more can be shipped in the same size box than adult birds.
Plus they are less likely to be carriers of poultry diseases than adult birds.   I have made many shipments of these  and never lost a started bird (4 to 8 weeks of age) during shipment.   From the buyer\'s perspective - he or she must be patient to wait until the bird finishes out, typically at 6 to 8 months of age, before rendering judgement on the quality.
By 4 to 8 weeks of age chicks should have already been culled for deformities, shank color, and to some extent feather color if the breeder has several years of experience with that  particular variety.    It\'s not a sure thing by any means, but it sure beats taking a chance on eggs in my opinion.

John

Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 07:32:15 PM »
20 out of 24 were infertile???

I talked to a Jeanne Trent yesterday and she wasn\'t so lucky.  She put some of her eggs and some hatching eggs that were sent to her in her incubator, earlier this year.  None appeared to be fertile when she candled them.  When we say none were fertile we really mean none of them started to develop.  Maybe the eggs were fertile and something else prevented them from starting to develop.  Anyway we joked that it would be nice to just blame the guy that sent the eggs, but couldn\'t since her own eggs weren\'t \"fertile\" either.
Go figure,

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 10:16:45 PM »
I\'ve had excellent fertility in my eggs, except for my buffs which are inbred, but that rate wasn\'t as bad as those eggs I got in the mail.  I would say I got about 60% of what I set hatch in buffs and 90-95% on my blues, blacks and EE\'s.

Actually that would be 23 out of 24 were infertile,  three rotten and 20 with no signs of life at all.

I have a GQF sportsman model incubator and I really love it!  It works great for me.  I don\'t have the low humidity problems like with the styrofoam still air incubators.

I have a newly acquired poultry friend that is buying a high fangled automatic everything incubator next spring.  She said she wants to set some of my eggs in it and I can\'t wait to see how it works.

Maybe next year we can ship chicks together.  She has orpingtons, mille fleurs and now ameraucanas.   I\'ve reeled another one in guys! :p

Jean
Jean

Mike Gilbert

Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 11:22:44 PM »
Nice going Jean.   We need more like you.

Torpedo-Egg Chick ..?
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 02:42:39 PM »
Any of you in New York State?

I am looking for a started blue rooster.  I posted about my multi-colored black guy last week, and got a lot of great responses.

I think I have 3 black hens & 1 blue, I know is a hen, but has a funny beak.  I probably will just keep her for eggs if she doesn\'t die from it.  Looking from the side, the top & bottom have a hole in the middle so the beaks don\'t meet correctly.

Anyway, I like the blue, so will keep looking.  Like you, I did\'t have much luck hatching, but this year was my first stab at it, and I should have just bought live  birds, would have saved a bundle of money! LOL

Sue