Author Topic: color question  (Read 3867 times)

color question
« on: June 29, 2006, 08:33:17 AM »
I hatched 6 chicks from what were supposed to be blacks & blues.

I have one that started out all black, then started to get white & black feathers.

Now it has a mottled look to it, and on the back feathers there are splashes of brown.  It almost looks like a Crele color gone wrong. Is there a way to post a picture here?
Any quesses?

They are about 8 week old and I still can\'t sex them.  3 blacks hardly have a tail, the black & white has the longest tail, and 1 blue has a medium tail.  Otherwise, all their heads & faces look very fierce & masculine.  Can you tell I\'m new to these birds?

Thanks
Sterling

color question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:26:56 AM »
Sterling,

You have to upload  the picture on a server of an image hosting web site. Then copy the url or html image link to your message on this board.

The image hosting website I use is   http://photobucket.com/.

You will also have to resize the picture before you upload to the server. Resize to ~ 200 Kb or 400 pixels by 400 pixels.

If you are computer savy this should not be a problem. If you are not, it could be a problem.

If anybody wants to learn chicken genetics go to
http://home.earthlink.net/~100chickens/id5.html

John

color question
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 10:29:53 AM »
Is there a way to post a picture here?
Assuming you have the photos saved on your computer...click Reply, then below the Message area you will see the Attachments area.  Click on Browse to open the file or location that the photo is in and then click Add Attachment.    Note that the photo or any one attachment can\'t be over 35 mb.  If it is too big the forum won\'t let you upload or attach it.  If so reduce it first by cropping the photo, then compress it.
Once you do it you\'ll find it very easy.

color question
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 10:12:19 PM »
Well...I recently had to sex chicks (mine were 11 weeks going on 12 at the time).

The absolute surest way is if you hear \"pre-crowing\" when the birds are released to the pen in the morning. These are single-note almost cough somewhat muffled crows that grow louder within a week\'s time. If a bird is pre-crowing, it\'s a male -- but not all males pre-crow -- and not all start early. I was surprised to hear nearly 1/2 a dozen pre-crowers last Monday (the 20th) on 12-week-old birds, yet their fathers never uttered a peep until the 17th week. It could be breed-related -- my chicks are mixed Ameraucana/RIR and perhaps RIRs crow sooner.

If roosters are illegal by local ordinance (as they are in my area), you want to pay close attention to any pre-crowing, ID and get them off your property ASAP, else you will have to slaughter them.

Failing pre-crowing, this link gives a fairly comprehensive overview on how to sex chicks via secondary sex traits:

Ithaca University -- Sexing Chicks (Secondary Characteristics)

To summarize the traits referenced in the URL above for roosters, you\'re looking for: large, pinkish combs; slower feather development; long, pointy, shiny hackle and saddle feathers; curved more slowly developing tail; long, heavy legs, spurs developing (note: some hens develop spurs as well); large angular head; larger overall size; upright, erect posture; noisy, aggressive (sparring, flying at one another -- but hens can do it too), alert, pre-crowing and crow-like chirps.

As you research this subject, you may also hear about vent sexing -- forcing feces out, opening the cloaca, sticking your finger in the vent, feeling around, and determining by what your finger feels -- the gender of the bird. This is easier said than done and requires extensive experience to do with any degree of accuracy. You have to know what to feel around for, and there are at least 15 different vent patterns for chickens. Best to leave the vent sexing to the professionals at the hatheries.

--Ron