Author Topic: Getting started  (Read 2829 times)

Getting started
« on: September 09, 2006, 10:23:25 PM »
Hello, I have wanted chickens for about a year. I know that is not long, but my husband has been putting me off, and now we need to wait for spring.  :rolleyes: Now my son is starting Junior FFA and he has a goat. I showed my husband some pictures of Ameraucana chickens, and said it\'s just too bad that he isn\'t showing chickens yet.  He said that he thinks that chickens might be a good idea for next year, and I said he is so smart. So now I am researching chickens. I really like the Ameraucanas, but I am also new at raising chickens. Are they difficult to keep? I would also want the extra chickens for eggs and meat. I can\'t afford to much, so would it worth the expense to start with these chickens. I hope I am making sense, and if you think of anything I should know please tell me.

Thank you for your time. Kaitti

Mike Gilbert

Getting started
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 02:19:54 PM »
Kaitti,
Where are you located?   The best advice I can give is to find someone in your area who has been successful at rearing and keeping chickens.   There are so many variables, and there is nothing like first hand advice from a friend.   The cost of the chicks or chickens themselves are the least expensive part of ownership.    Many folks are satisfied by starting out with inexpensive feed store chicks, raising them up to gain experience, and then moving on to more expensive stock if that is what is wanted.     Back yard chickens can usually be purchased already grown for about $5 each, but those are rarely good for showing.   The down side of that approach is sometimes adult birds bring in poultry diseases and/or parasites that can linger on your property and be passed on to new arrivals.    There is a whole world of knowledge when it comes to poultry culture;  I have been at it for some 35 years as an adult, and continue to learn and re-learn.   This is not to discourage you, just to let you know it can be an enjoyable avocation and at times a real challenge as well.   Good luck, and if any of us can help along the way just let us know, okay?

Getting started
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 10:27:17 AM »
Hi Mike, Thank you for getting back to me. I live in the central part of Texas by Abilene. You didn\'t discourage me I don\'t mind people telling me the truth about what it takes, it makes me more prepared. I have many people around here who raise chickens. At least two here on my road, that would help me out. We are also in good standing with the vet around here. He might know something if I need help. It\'s a risk with any kind of animal. We have animals all the time. We would raise calves for meat; we have pigs now, so I know that things happen unexpectedly. I would get the chickens from the feed store or First Monday,but I learned a long time ago with a big family if I don\'t try and get the kind I want now it\'s harder to get it later.  There are always shoes or goats etc. to buy. If I get them they would be for my birthday. My husband is always telling me, he has no idea what to get me. Thank you again for getting back to me. If you know of anybody in my area that had chickens let me know. It would be easier to get some from around here, but I would not know who to talk to. Thanks

Mike Gilbert

Getting started
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 07:19:04 PM »
Kaitti,
Why don\'t you give Paul Smith a call?   His info is included in the breeders directory on this website, and he has very good large fowl Ameraucanas in several color varieties.   He is from Gainesville, Texas, but I\'m not sure how far that is  from you.   The Breeders Directory can be found as a link under the FAQ link.