Author Topic: Looking to buy three cull pullets, Just want a few blue-egg yard birds.  (Read 4961 times)

Hello, I\'m new to chickens.  Our White Roc wandered up to the property about a year ago.  She stayed, so we built her a little roost in the old barn, bought her a bag of laying mash (How long does it take one hen to eat a 50-lb bag of feed?  Answer:  She can\'t before it goes sour!), and she has been giving us HUGE brown eggs, 2 or 3 a week.  So I have no background in chickens, but my wife knows a little.

I am looking to buy three different color pullets.  I do not breed or show, I just want three more hens to help our White Roc eat bugs and such.  Oh, and some blue eggs would be neat, too!  Why three different colors?  So we can tell them apart, and give them all names!  Yes, all our animals are pets, so I can\'t raise goats or cows.  Ever since \"Bambi\" was produced, my wife won\'t let me say \"Venison\"!  So imagine what would happen if we had some brown-eyed calves in the pasture - tofu, here I come!

Anyway, will anyone be bringing some cull pullets to the Indianapolis show?  I could pick them up during the show.  Thanks, Rich.  

Mike Gilbert

Looking to buy three cull pullets, Just want a few blue-egg yard birds.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 06:36:17 PM »
Hi Rich,
We have \"Bambi\" here at Red Stag Acres.   Actually, his name is \"Dandy\" and he follows us around like a puppy.  We had to raise him on a bottle this summer, because he was too weak at birth for his mother to take care of him.   Now he is as big as the best of the others (18 in all this year).  

Anyway, I\'m sure there will be \"leftover\" pullets available for purchase at Frankenmuth.   Come on up for the day or the weekend and join the fun!

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 09:20:20 PM »
I am too, looking for more Ameraucana pullets or hens of white, red, silver, lavender, buff and wheatons.

I am in Decatur, IL and have no problems getting shipped birds. Let me know if you have any available.

Thanks to John for his email....for letting me know I can post this wanted ad.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 10:31:24 PM »
large fowl or bantam???

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 03:20:31 AM »
Mike -
  Cute story about Dandy.  
All -
  Large fowl, any colors except white.  Frankenmuth is 5 to 6 hours away from me, too long a trip, Indy is about two hours.  
  Thanks!  Rich.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 04:48:07 PM »
Rich,

I live near Richmond, Indiana which is closer to you than Indy.  I have a young flock of 15 Ameraucanas and may be willing to part with a couple of the blue or black ones.  Also, if you\'re interested, I have some white egg layers (Dark Brown Leghorns and Silver Spangled Hamburgs) that I would throw in.  I need to do a flock reduction to make room for a couple of new breeds.

Mark

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 05:30:07 PM »
Bantams only

Thanks!

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 06:34:57 PM »
Robin,
I have one silver hen available, and my neighbor Bob Walchak has white females - not sure how many are left.
If you need something shipped, e-mail me at:
ameraucana@redstagacres.com .

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 07:38:37 AM »
Mark -
  Check your PM.
All Others -
  Any other offers?  Going to Indy in Nov.?  Thanks to all, Rich.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 08:26:00 AM »
All;

Thanks for all the help and advice.  I will be buying a couple of pullets from Mark Campbell\'s flock in Richmond, Indiana.  So I\'m done with this post.

RobinP;

Did you get the birds you were looking for?  Can we close this post?  

Thanks again, Rich.