Author Topic: NPIP Testing  (Read 4472 times)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
NPIP Testing
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:40:52 PM »
How many of you with NPIP Certified flocks tested for MS & MG?

Jean :)
Jean

NPIP Testing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 01:14:57 PM »
On the subject of NPIP testing, in Oklahoma it is my understanding that a flock only needs to be tested for Pullorum/Typhoid.  I Google\'d the requirements for other states and came up with a couple that require testing for MS and/or MG.  

Is their a some sort of definitive answer of a testing level that will suffice nationwide if one is to travel to shows across the country?  How about shipping chicks and adults to other states?

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
NPIP Testing
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 09:38:42 PM »
MS and MG are not required to be NPIP certified, only the pullorum and thyphoid.

It is a highly contagious disease and very harmful to the meat and turkey industry.  Exhibition birds are very likely to spread this disease, because there are usually no symptoms or they have symptoms are treated, then become carriers and it is transferred to chicks via the egg.

No state requires the independent flock owner to test for this disease.  I did it because I just wanted to know.  Minnesota requires commercial flock owners to test.

I am trying to contact NPIP in Georgia to see if there are any independent flocks that are certified MS/MG free.

I am worried that most of the independent flocks in the US are in fact infected with MS because no one tests for it.  The guy I called at NPIP is at a \"Mycoplasma\" Symposium this week.

I think CRD is MG, but don\'t quote me.  If you want to look up the diseases on the web they are called mycoplasma synoviae and mycoplasma gallisepticum (mostly turkeys).

From my current research it looks as if the independent flock owner may ship eggs or live birds to any state in the union as long as they are NPIP certified.  MS/MG free is not a requirement.

Jean
Jean

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
NPIP Testing
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 02:11:20 PM »
I finally talked to Andrew Rohrer at NPIP today and he told me that there were very few flocks in the US that are MS and MG free.

He said almost all laying facilities have it and certainly any backyard farmer or exhibition flock is likely to have it.  The only way to make sure you do not get it is to buy MS MG free birds and house them exclusively indoors with all the bio security precautions and do not exhibit.

They are not concerned about MS at this time but are keeping an eye on it.  It seems there are different strains and some are popping up in Latin America that are just devasting to the flocks so they are watching at this time.

Also CRD is in fact Mycoplasma Galisepticum and alot of flocks carry it also.  

If you are curious about your flock, the test is pretty cheap, just do a few with your next NPIP testing or have some blood drawn and take it to your avian health lab.

Jean
Jean

Mike Gilbert

NPIP Testing
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing that information Jean.   There is another way to deal with CRD, and that is to breed for genetic resistance.    The late Fred Jeffrey, the finest secretary the ABA ever had, was quoted as saying the most useful item in his medicine cabinet was an axe.    Clean, airy coops, a proper diet, adequate parasite control, prevention of overcrowding, all contribute to a low stress environment which helps prevent disease symptoms from getting started.
That is the route that  many  have chosen due to the impracticality of securing and maintaining a germ free flock.

John

NPIP Testing
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 08:21:05 PM »
Check out this site about CRD/MG:
http://www.bellsouth.com.au/tech/RESPIRATORY%20DISEASE%20IN%20BREEDER%20FLOCKS.htm
I would guess that most of our birds carry it.  Some think their flocks don\'t carry or have this or that, but just because you haven\'t witnessed it doesn\'t meant it isn\'t there.  It is what you do to try to prevent outbreaks that is important and what you do if and when they occur.  Understand what can stress your birds and do your best to avoid those things.  

John

NPIP Testing
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 08:49:39 AM »
I think CRD is MG, but don\'t quote me.

I talked to the \"Chicken Dr.\", Peter Brown, yesterday and he said CRD is when a bird has both MG and E-coli.