Author Topic: chick feeding  (Read 3788 times)

chick feeding
« on: April 19, 2007, 09:52:27 AM »
Does anybody feed their chicks anything other than mash to get them started?

Last time, I just fed chick starter and plain water, and they seemed to do ok. What do you guys do that works for you?

Thanks!

chick feeding
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 12:39:38 PM »
I use chick starter feed and have never had any problems. I also add a small amount of Red Cell to the water for the first few weeks.

Donna

Blue Egg Acres

chick feeding
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 01:18:28 PM »
I use the medicated (with amprol) chick starter and plain water. I read somewhere awhile back that you can overdo vitamins with chicks (?) so don\'t add them at an early age. The chick starter has all they need.

chick feeding
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 05:28:28 PM »
I\'ve used the vitamins /electrolyte soluble mixture for chicks in the past.  I saw no noticeable difference than just plain water.  

The best care is to just keep out plenty of chick starter and clean water.  Make sure the area is dry and warm and they\'ll do great!

chick feeding
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 05:24:19 AM »
Does anyone have any opinion on the Gro-gel that is sold some places?

Blue Egg Acres

chick feeding
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 10:40:46 AM »
I\'m not familiar with that. What is it?

chick feeding
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 12:28:06 AM »

chick feeding
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 01:09:33 PM »
I\'ve tried Gro Gel with two different hatches. One group wouldn\'t eat it the other group did. I saw no difference between them. I wouldn\'t use it again.

Donna

Blue Egg Acres

chick feeding
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 01:27:42 PM »
Sounds to me that it is being marketed for chicks that are shipped to help with the stress factor of being shipped.

chick feeding
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 12:40:27 AM »
I feed whole grains and have done so for years with no problems.

Ronda

chick feeding
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 05:42:59 AM »
It seems like a probiotic, and it is marketed for shipped chicks.  I just wondered if there was any benefit to probiotic type stuff for hatched chicks or not.  I know I give probiotics to newborn horses to help develop the intestinal flora, etc.

chick feeding
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 05:43:36 AM »
Quote from: Greener Pastures
I feed whole grains and have done so for years with no problems.

Ronda

Which whole grains do you feed?

chick feeding
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 01:52:12 PM »
We also give probiotics to livestock that might need a little boost, but not as a general rule.

I feed well over a dozen grains, and list the always evolving recipes that I give my chicks and adult birds on my website.

Ronda

chick feeding
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »
Hi Greener Pastures!  I have been learning a lot from your site and have seen the list of whole grains that you feed.  You feed all organic too, right?  Soon I will be getting some chickens and will feed them organic whole grains and supplements.  The problem I am having is that I can\'t find any source of these grains anywhere near NH!  I would be willing to travel a few hours if I had to, to get it, but I just can\'t find it.  Any ideas?  Thanks