Author Topic: Ameraucana versus \"others\"  (Read 4301 times)

Ameraucana versus \"others\"
« on: May 01, 2007, 05:18:27 AM »
I am still looking around and learning and would like to solicit your opinions.  I see far more ads for \"americana\" or \"easter egger\" (or any compilation of the terms) than I do for honest-to-God Ameraucanas.   Then, some of the ads I do see for Ameraucanas show multiple photos of the birds but no photos of the eggs.  While I realize that standardization of the body type is essential to the breed and each variety, in my limited opinion, the egg colour, shape, size, and rate of lay should be paramount.  When comparing the \"common easter egger\" to a pedigreed stock, is it possible to make generalizations on any of those qualities?  

The two \"ameraucana types\" that I have (I inherited several months ago) were bought at a local feed store most likely supplied by Ideal.  They are nice hens that look very much like the red-brown that I see pictured on the homepage.  They lay a large size egg pretty reliably one a day.  If I were to want to change anything, I would think they could be more round and less eliptical.  But... here is my question:  As a small time hobbyist mostly concerned with egg production, is there benefit to seeking out the purer Ameraucanas than going with the more of what I already have?  Are the purebred Ameraucanas as prolific layers as the ones I have?  Are certain varieties more prolific or layers of larger eggs than others?  Is there any guarantee that buying from ebay or eggbid will have any purer a bird than the hatcheries?  I had more or less settled on Ameraucana over the Aracauna because I thought I had learned that the Ameraucana lays more and larger eggs, is that true?

Also, in crossing, what is the eggshell colour when crossed with some of the pale brown layers (Favorelle, Sussex...??) or white eggs?  Is this where some of the atypical looking birds thay lay bluish eggs come from?

I must say, that of my assortment of hand-me-down hens, the ameraucana types are some of the most interactive and trusting.  Is that typical of purebreds as well?

Thanks for any input.

:)

John

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 09:33:54 AM »
is there benefit to seeking out the purer Ameraucanas than going with the more of what I already have? Are the purebred Ameraucanas as prolific layers as the ones I have? Are certain varieties more prolific or layers of larger eggs than others?

If you are \"mostly concerned with egg production\" the hatchery stock is probably fine for you.  Some Ameraucana varieties, like LF black and blues, are great layers.  I\'ve been getting 6 to 7 eggs per week from a LF blue hen on mine over the past couple months and she lays a beautiful \"blue\" large egg.  Some LF blacks and blues still produce green eggs and some of as are concentrating on improving that area.
I do have a comparison chart on my ChickHatchery.com website\'s FAQ page that may be of interest.    

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 09:56:59 AM »
Jennifer,

I agree with John, if you are looking for layers, then the hatchery stock or easter eggers are probably what you are looking for.

I do sell my hatching eggs on eBay and eggbid.  There are alot of people that say they have purebred ameraucanas on these sites, but only a few really have them.  I have also found some people with some real ameraucanas and easter eggers that are interbreeding their varieties and still claiming them as purebreds.  In my ads I point out that if you want real ameraucanas it is wise to buy from a member of the Ameraucana Breeders Club.

When you cross a blue egg layer with a light brown egg layer, you will get a green shade to your egg because of the brown will always be added to the blue.  I do not know how the white shell genes affect the blue color, maybe someone else will step in and explain.....

I have only been raising purebred ameraucanas for three years now and I have found that the white, buff, wheaten and blue wheaten varieties are pretty laid back birds.  That being said, I do believe the more you handle or are around the birds the calmer they will be.

Good luck, hope you find what you want.

Jean
Jean

John

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 10:09:40 AM »
I\'m not saying the hatchery stock is better for laying hens, but only that they are fine for that goal.  The biggest reason in price.  You can buy a flock of Easter Egg laying hens much cheaper than Ameraucana hens.
I don\'t know if the lay rate of your hatchery hens is better or worse than my Ameraucana hens.  I\'m quite sure your birds lay better than some of my Ameraucanas and that some of my Ameraucanas lay better than some Easter Eggers.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 11:39:42 AM »
John,

That\'s what I meant too..... :)
Jean

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 12:26:48 AM »
Thank you so much, Jean, and John.  I really don\'t mean to start an \"x\" is better then \"y\" discussion.  I have horses, and I can definately see the pros and cons of either purebreds or crosses or mutts.  The cost difference with chickens is much smaller than in horses, though.   ;)  I had tried to go with purebred from an online auction, but it seems circumstances has put me back to the drawing board and I was just reexamining the whole thing.  The difference in cost between hatchery or private breeder, while may be double, is still only a few $ for eggs or chicks.  The only thing with the hatchery is it is so much more available, and sometimes easier to buy smaller quantities from the local feedstores.  (sigh)  I guess if life were too simple, it wouldn\'t be as gratifying, eh?

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 12:28:30 PM »
You mention that you are interested in egg production, and if you are selling your eggs to \"support\" your hobby then I would definately reccommend adding a few \"purebred\" Ameraucanas to your flock. Two important aspects is their winter laying (when most production breed\'s ROL is down) and if you keep you hens past the first molt then their continued lay.
There are breeders working on production, rate of lay and egg size and shape, so if you are interested then do a little asking around. Good luck.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 04:00:54 AM »
Thanks!  I think I will \"tweak\" my incubating skills with my own (Marans) eggs before trying again with purebreds (Ameraucanas).