Author Topic: Arrggg --- Ruptured Achilles Tendon  (Read 3477 times)

grisaboy

Arrggg --- Ruptured Achilles Tendon
« on: June 30, 2007, 09:05:28 PM »
I ruptured my Achilles Tendon this past week.  Now I had surgery to repair the damage but now I am stuck on the couch with instructions not to do anything that might exert pressure on my leg.  That means no chores, no driving, no nothing.  I can sit here and play on the computer, watch movies, read books and put ice on my cast.
My kids and wife are feeding the chickens and other animals for me, but I can\'t stand it.  I have eggs hatching in the incubator and I can\'t even get out to see what is hatching.  I ask them what color are the chicks? They say, I think there was a striped one and some black ones and maybe a gray one.  I ask, what number was on the egg for the striped one?  I didn\'t know there were numbers.
At least the chicks are getting moved to the brooder and at least they are being fed and watered.
I go back to the doctor on Monday and I will find out if I can at least take my crutches out to the barn.
I know, I know.. I\'m just whining.  But this is getting old in a hurry.

Curtis

John

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 09:23:03 PM »
That\'s gotta be rough!  :(

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 09:32:33 PM »
I have chronic achilles tendonitis (much less traumatic than a ruptured one!) but I suffered for quite a while until a physical therapist told me to elevate my heels.  You know, like high heels... sorta ^_^.  Anyway, that relieved the pressure on my tendon and I was able to do everything as if nothing was wrong.  Ask your doctor about raising your heels.  You never know - it might get you back in action a little sooner!  Sending healing thoughts.
Lyne
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 10:48:45 PM »
Curtis,   sorry to hear about your problem.    What a bummer!
I\'ll hope and pray for a fast recovery.   In the meantime - what about those high heels?   Would they help?

John

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 09:32:26 AM »
I know that years ago I had a pair of work shoes that had soles and heels of the same height.  I noticed that my leg muscles often hurt and had many charlie horses in bed at night.  I switched to a work shoe with a much higher heel and the problems went away.  These where steel toed work shoes, so they didn\'t have quite the same visual appeal as my wife\'s high heels. ;)

grisaboy

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 12:21:24 PM »
Fortunately, My wife\'s high heels won\'t fit.   I don\'t think they would go very well with my Carhardt overalls anyway.  I will consider the steel toed boots, they sound like a good idea.

I like to jog for exercize.  So I am hoping to recover enough to jog again.  I still have several weeks in a cast though.  On July 12 I go in to get my stitches out.  Then they will take this cast off and put on a new one.  Until then, I am stuck here at home as I still can\'t drive.  
I did finally get down to the barn though.  The Dr said I need the exercize.  I can\'t get in and out of the pens very well, but at least I can supervise my 9 year old son.  He has never shown much interest in the chickens before, but I think he is really enjoying feeding and watching the chickens.  Maybe he will be a checken guy after all.

My wife has been amazing.  She was already busy before this happened and then she had to pick up all these extra things to take care of me and my chicken habit.  She doesn\'t even like chickens.  

Talk to you later. (It\'s not like I\'m going anywhere).
Just keeping my foot elevated and packed in ice.

Curtis

grisaboy

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 06:31:43 PM »
Note to self;

Don\'t try to carry eggs from the barn to the house in your pockets while on crutches.

This was not a good idea.

Curtis

John

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 06:34:57 PM »
Ooh, you\'re tooo funny... :stare: