Author Topic: need help identifying variety  (Read 2502 times)

need help identifying variety
« on: April 24, 2008, 02:36:12 AM »
I ordered eggs and thought they were all supposed to be blues, blacks and splash but three turned out with different shades of chipmunk stripes. Any ideas of the variety? and any thoughts on how they got that way, aside from the seller adding the different variety of eggs or having a mixed flock.

Here\'s a link to a photo of them. (sorry, i\'m new and couldn\'t figure out how to put it on here) http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/siberianmama/?action=view¤t=DSCF0631.jpg
Thanks,
Terrisa

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »
I\'m sorry to say that you have chicks from a mixed flock, and probably easter eggers. You have many modifing genes (gold, slver, Co, Db,...) changing a \"typical\" wildtype down. Our Silver variety is based on wildtype and you can navigate to the photo page from the homepage to see what types of down to expect from the different varieties.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 03:43:03 PM »
I would band or otherwise mark each of those three striped chicks, make some notes now, and check their coloring when they mature.    I once got Silver Leghorn chicks from McMurrays that were colored like the one on the left (brownish and striped) and they grew up to be nicely colored silvers.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 12:58:55 AM »
BTW--To paste photos that are posted at Photobucket.com, you can paste the IMG code (shown beneath each photo) into the body of your post text. For more clear information, you can click the box next to photo(s) you want to post and then click the \"Generate HTML and IMG Code\" at the bottom of the album page.
For an example of this in a post, on the photo I posted in a reply at http://www.ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=802 right-click on the photo and select \'Properties\' to see the code I pasted.
Best, Laura