Author Topic: Day-Old Ameraucana chicks  (Read 2681 times)

John

Day-Old Ameraucana chicks
« on: May 24, 2008, 09:54:24 AM »
I\'ve posted the order form on my ChickHatchery.com website for the 2009 hatching season.  If you are interested you may order anytime, but sooner is better than later.  This year I sold out in March and several folks were too late to order the chicks they wanted.

John

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 07:51:04 PM »
By the way I\'ll offer 12 varieties...the same six in both bantam and large fowl.
 :pbuff
 ;)Lavender
 :stare:silver
 :Dblack
 :)brown red
 :rolleyes:wheaten

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:56:36 PM »
Hi John,

The chicks you sent me are doing great.  I haven\'t lost any.
The blue/black chicks seem quite a bit bigger (generally) than the silvers or buffs.  The silvers are exhibiting a fair range in individual size.  
Is this more likely related to variety or sex?

Thanks,
Andy in Maine

John

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 05:57:21 PM »
Andy,
Most of my black bantam hens (with blue cocks) laid larger eggs than the other varieties, so the chicks should be bigger.  That shouldn\'t mean that they will mature bigger than they should.  
The silvers were from two matings and should be quite consistent in size, since the breeders were.  The silver variety isn\'t developed as much as most bantam Ameraucana varieties and more culls can be expected due mostly to color/pattern.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:28:21 PM »
Bantam?
I have LF (I hope :))

John

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 05:36:57 PM »
I have LF

Oh...I hadn\'t looked to see and just assumed we were talking about bantams.  I sent over a thousand chicks this year and can\'t rely on my memory.
The silver LF are smaller than blacks and blues.  That is something some of as are working on to improve along with size and type of LF wheatens.  The buff breeders varied in size, so there can be some variation in the offspring too.  
There are many pros and cons with each variety.  
The silvers will lay a bluer egg than the others you have,
The blacks will do best at shows.
The buffs are very docile and make good brood hens.