Author Topic: Opinions on color please  (Read 2703 times)

Korfus Kluckers

Opinions on color please
« on: May 30, 2008, 05:19:47 PM »
I was wondering if anyone could tellme if my roosters coloring was good. I have just started raising Ameraucanas this past year and want to make sure he is correct. I knwo he came from Wheaton eggs and I have four other Wheatons I hatched that are younger Im hoping to use with him when he grows up.

Also I have this buff I hatched out. I guess you would call it a wild color. I dont think the coloring is going to get better, but wanted to see what you thought? I have 6 others form this hatch that are a even buff color and this little guy.

John

Opinions on color please
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
He is a good looking blue wheaten so far, but you have to wait until wheaten cockerels are mature to judge them.  Check out some of the old topics that discuss this.
http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=362

I think the buff has partridge/brown in it and will be a cull.

Korfus Kluckers

Opinions on color please
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 06:24:45 PM »
Thanks John! My husband love him and told me he wanted to keep him and that is quite rare for him to become fond of any of the birds.
I was going to the local poultry auction in the next few weeks. I guess that buff will be going.

Opinions on color please
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 12:51:50 AM »
Wow, he looks like a bald eagle!  

Mike Gilbert

Opinions on color please
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 08:49:19 AM »
Bald eagles don\'t have muffs.   The head and muffs stay the color of chick down until they are more mature.   There is a complete color transformation from chick to adult, and with the males it is very pronounced.

Opinions on color please
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 07:36:13 AM »
Well I swear I will never disagree again, Mr Gilbert- but my blue wheaten cockerel looks like an eagle too! And his head is all feathered blue now :P It is more the \'uncle sam muppet\' eyebrow thing he has going for him, i think...