Author Topic: Show Quality Birds, how to tell and other questions?  (Read 3200 times)

Show Quality Birds, how to tell and other questions?
« on: August 20, 2008, 01:40:43 AM »
I have a few whites and silver chicks (about 3 1/2 months and 2 1/2 months) and was wondering how I can tell if they are show quality or not? Do I have to wait until they are older to tell?

Also, I have to limit the amount of males I have because where I live if one has over 5 males you supposedly have to have a permit. I am in Ca. not sure what it is like for other states. Plus I really don\'t want to have a lot of males around. I want to concentrate on breeding whites and silvers as these 2 colors seem hard to find by breeders. I know of only a few that have these colors. I do have 2 white cockerels (these 2 are about 2 1/2 months) and want/need to get rid of one of them but not sure how to tell which of the 2 is the better quality. For those of you more experienced w/ raising these birds what attributes along w/ the standard should I look for?

I can post pictures tomorrow for you guys to see if any of my birds might either be show or not show but a decent quality bird.

Thanks
Kim

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 07:23:31 AM »
Kim,
Yes, please post pictures.     You probably need to grow the birds out more in order to pick the best, but sometimes they have obvious faults that can be selected against at an early age.   And don\'t forget temperament;   if a bird squawks when you pick it up, it will probably be naturally too wild to make a decent show bird.  Temperment is also somewhat inheritable, so try to pick the most docile birds to breed from, all else being equal.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 10:09:42 PM »
Here are the photos of some of my birds and I am hoping at least one might be show quality. Sorry the pictures aren\'t the greatest. I tried to do my best. Warning lots of pictures. The first 5 photos are really large, not sure why as I did resize them. Apologies for the really large pics.

Above three photos are of a pullet and she is about 5 months old. She is the friendliest of all my birds and loves to be carried around.

Another pullet. She\'s just over 3 months.

Different pullet from one above. And she hatched the same time the one above did.  Just over 3 months.

Above is one of the 2 cockerels that I need to find a new home for but need to know of the two cockerels I\'m posting pictures of which one looks to be of better quality? This guy is a little feister of the two.

The other cockerel (or is this one possibly a pullet?) that might need to find a new home for. Again out of the 2 white cockerels which one seems to be of better quality?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 07:26:43 AM »
Both white cockerels need to grow out some.   If you really intend to breed them, you may need more than one male bird of each variety anyway - unless you have easy access to others of the same color varieties.   All these look OK given their young ages.   I do like the second white cockerel better right now, but I would definitely raise them a while longer before choosing.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 11:04:41 AM »
Mike-

What about the white pullet and the two silver pullets. How are they in regards to coloring and possible show quality?

I agree w/ you I actually prefer the 2nd white bird over the first one. Well, where I live unfortuantely I am only allowed to have a maximum of 5 roosters, after that one must have a permit. I am located in California and I guess because there is a lot of illegal cock fighting that goes on around where I live that is why one must have a permit. I really don\'t want to have to have more than 5 roos due to the permit issue.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 02:00:19 PM »
From what I can see the white pullet looks good.  Nice muffs, the only questionmark is the tail and shape from a side view, and I can\'t see enough from the picture to really give an evaluation.   Is the eye color a reddish bay or dark brown?   Shape is the most important thing when it comes to exhibition quality, especially on solid colored birds.    Those silver pullets need more time.  When they are six months old or so try to post front and side views and I\'ll be happy to respond with comments then.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 09:46:39 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
the only questionmark is the tail and shape from a side view, and I can\'t see enough from the picture to really give an evaluation.   Is the eye color a reddish bay or dark brown?

I\'m not really sure of the eye color. I will take a closer look at her. What should it be reddish bay or dark brown. Obivously one of these 2 colors would probably disqualify her as possible show quality. What is the proper color? I\'ll see if I can get a photo of her standing w/ a side view so you can see her tail.

Quote from: Mike Gilbert
   Those silver pullets need more time.  When they are six months old or so try to post front and side views and I\'ll be happy to respond with comments then.

I will wait until they are 6 months and post pics then. They will be 6 months around Dec.

bantamhill

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 07:18:45 AM »
The white pullet is very nice in my opinion.

The two silver pullets appear to be heading to the dark side of the variety standard. The final feathering will tell the story. Dark pullets are valuable in the breeding pen based on my experience with silver. Dark pullets produce cockerel and cocks with nice clean black breasts.

The two white cockerels (?) need some time to grow out. If they have nice shank color and comb I would could keep them for now.

Michael