Author Topic: Ameraucana baby pics!  (Read 4568 times)

Ameraucana baby pics!
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:50:41 AM »
Please give opinions.. the first pic is of our 17 day old silver ameraucana chick.. what do you think?

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Ameraucana baby pics!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:49:42 AM »
I\'m going to be brutal with you.  You have got easter eggers in there somewhere.

The colors are not correct down colors for the variety you have indicated and the whites have yellow feet.  Have you checked the pictures page and clicked on the photos of chicks?

If you want to breed up, this will be a long process and from what I see your \"silver\" is carrying alot of red genes and the whites are carrying yellow skin.  Both of these items are very hard to get rid of.

I would suggest getting more birds from an ABC breeder, even if they are culls so that you are starting out with the correct color genes and go from there.

I don\'t mean to offend, but want to be honest.

Jean
Jean

bantamhill

Ameraucana baby pics!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 07:28:36 PM »
A picture of silver large fowl chicks may be found at http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook_files/silverlf.jpg

The chicks in the photos appear to be feathering with a \"Wild Type\" pattern. They may be of help to a person who is wanting to make a black breasted red Ameraucana.

I agree with Jean, that unfortately the chances are excellent that your white chicks will grow up to have willow legs.

Is it possible that an Araucana cock or cockerel \"visited\" the Ameraucana hens/pullets?

Michael

Ameraucana baby pics!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:18:06 AM »
thank you jean and mike..Iamasking for honesty  first..

I havea fewquestions: 1. what colors ,according to apa standards are acceptable for white Ameraucana legs..isit slate, yelloor willow?  Also.. for blue, black or splash birds, is slatethe only acceptable legcolor?

Where will I find this info..in the standards?

No..there is no chance that any of these birds crossed with an Araucana.. all of our birds are kept in separate coops/penned areas by breed & color.  They cannot intermingle..  

We also just purchased a blue Ameraucana cockerel.. he was purchased through Whitmore Farms Heritage farms in Maryland.
We have a black hen and a blue pullet.  Both of these birds have slate legs, red earlobes and are fully muffed and bearded.  The only defect I see in the blue is that she has some brown specks in her chest.  We only have hatched one chick from her..not sure if the chick is blue or black.. will post a pic!

It looks black.. but has blue/grey underparts..

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
Ameraucana baby pics!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 12:52:35 PM »
The only acceptable leg color for whites is slate.  For blues it is slate/dark slate and for blacks it is dark slate to black.  Splash birds should have slate legs, they are not an approved color at this time.

The bottoms of the feet should be white.

All the information is in the APA Book of Standards. :)
Jean

Ameraucana baby pics!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 08:49:51 PM »
Thanks Jean.. I don\'t have a copy of the current standard.

Thanks to everyone who advise us.. we sold the silver roo, silver hen and one other..

We only have PROVEN purebreds here now for Ameraucana.. it was a tough decision, but it costs just as much to feed purebreds as it does to feed mutts!  

We talked with Paul Smith and hopefully, we will be adding 10 blue/black splash babies in late March/early april!

Greatly appreciate everybodys help/advice

Barb & Paul Ambuhl

Ameraucana baby pics!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 10:33:45 AM »
If I might chime in here regarding the white chicks. I don\'t know where Barbara\'s white females came from, but the rooster she has came from me, and I originally got my white eggs from you Jean. And her rooster came from the eggs I hatched from Jean\'s eggs.

Kim

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
Ameraucana baby pics!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 11:54:34 AM »
Quote from: mustangsaguaro
If I might chime in here regarding the white chicks. I don\'t know where Barbara\'s white females came from, but the rooster she has came from me, and I originally got my white eggs from you Jean. And her rooster came from the eggs I hatched from Jean\'s eggs.

Kim

Well, it is not the rooster then is it.

Jean
Jean