Author Topic: new variety  (Read 4356 times)

new variety
« on: February 03, 2009, 03:54:20 PM »
In order to have a new variety recognised by the APA, you need 5 breeders raising and showing the variety 5 years ... correct? Can the shows be 4-H or do they have to be one of our sanctioned meets? We have 4 people raising the mottled now, but the most showing we can do will be 4-H type. co.fairs and such. What more can you tell me about working toward getting this variety recognised?
Thanks
Rose

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
new variety
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 06:39:42 PM »
Do you have photos?  I\'d love to see them.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

new variety
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:49:46 AM »
Dear Ozark Rose,

You must show  2cockerels, 2 hens, 2 pullets and 2 roosters at APPROVED APA show for 2 years.(once a year).. after 2 years.. then you can ask the apa for a SANCTIONED meet for that color. in order to have the sanctioned meet..you must have 50 birds of that color to show.. and at least 5 breeders who have been breeding for five years or more in that color.  the five breeders do not have to show, but must sign affidavits that they have been breeding the color for five years.

Also.. the 8 birds that have to be shown during the 2 years, do not have to be yours.. but.. all must be shown at same shows and shows must be apa judged.  You also must tell the show secretary for the show what you are doing and she will notify the judge.. the judge will make out some papers that go back to the apa.  

Believe me,  we are trying to get color recognition on our blue
large fowl Araucanas.. I got this information FROM the apa officers.  It is very hard to coordinate others to get this done!

Barb

faith valley

new variety
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 08:37:18 AM »
There is also the filing fee that you need to pay as well.

Patty

new variety
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 02:55:56 PM »
Never having been to a show even ... are there EVER 50 Ameraucana showing? (The results I see in the newsletter dont seem to indicate many birds. ) Do we all just band together and bring 50 birds to the one sanctioned show?
Lynn, I dont have many pictures here at work and not many fully mottled birds after a predator destroyed all but 2 hens and a culled roo fall \'07. I made headway last year building up stock and sending some out to other breeders to try and protect it against decimation again. Will have to add a few pictures on another post

new variety
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 03:08:51 PM »
lets try this for the 3rd time...

faith valley

new variety
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 03:11:42 PM »
It is easier to get into the ABA- you only need 25 birds from 5 exhibitor/ABA members, plus the variety history & show history and photos of males and females and proposed description as well. And of course your filing fee- I think it was $125 the last time we filed.

Patty

John

new variety
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 03:28:45 PM »
are there EVER 50 Ameraucana showing?

Not at the regular meets.  We have over 200 at many of our National meets and if there is the support for a new variety I assume the numbers would be there for a qualifying meet.

Mike Gilbert

new variety
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 08:34:19 PM »
Rose,
Some of those mottleds appear to have nice Ameraucana conformation, including one or two with the darker legs.
It would be wise to get some of these into the hands of at least five or six other breeders.    Is anyone working on the bantam version?    Ideally, large and bantam sizes would be added at the same time.   They (bantams)  should be relatively easy to make since we have quite a few breeders with good black bantams already.   Five years seems like a long time - but time flies (whether we are having fun or not).  
\"For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost, to see if he has enough to complete it?\" (Jesus) Luke 14:28

new variety
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 02:03:38 PM »
Thanks for the support.
Michael M. is working on a mille fleur in bantams, so he might have some mottled.
I\'ve been shipping eggs and have 4 other people involved now and will be happy to include anyone interested. I believe these are suffering from inbreeding depression, so my main focus last year was to outcross Springfield increasing numbers and  hopefully also improving eye and shank color. (Mottle is a dilutor)
I have 3 pens set up this year, 2 of which will be producing all heterozygotes from outcrosses (to top quality blacks & blues of my best mottle patterns), and then Springfield will be with his outcrossed daughters and a few of his quality mottled daughters.
I\'m happy to say that all lay nice blue tinted eggs and have good combs.

Bearpaw

new variety
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 11:05:34 PM »
OzarkRose,
I would like to purchase some of your mottled Ameraucanas,
Either Day old Chicks or Started birds. I live in Surprise, Arizona near Phoenix.

Thanks