Author Topic: USPS regulations on sending hatching eggs to other countries  (Read 3908 times)

Blue Egg Acres

USPS regulations on sending hatching eggs to other countries
« on: January 12, 2007, 07:40:23 PM »
Does anyone here have experience with sending hatching eggs out of the US, other than to Canada? I\'ve found the following regarding this on the USPS website:
http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc1_003.html#vnameref_1

139.3 Eggs
139.31 Restrictions
Eggs may be sent only by parcel post. See 550 for nonpostal regulations on dried whole eggs.

139.32 Packaging
Eggs must be packaged in the following manner:

a. Eggs mailed to any country except Canada must be placed in a metal egg container. Each egg must be packed in cushioning material. The metal egg container must be enclosed in an outer container of wood with cushioning packed between the two containers.

I\'ve never seen a \"metal egg container\". Someone had suggested this was referring to tin foil and that the \"container of wood\" is a cardboard box????

John

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 08:20:22 PM »
I don\'t have any experience with shipping eggs out of the country, but will give my interpretation of the rules.
These where probably written many years ago and the \"metal\" container may be to contain any leakage from eggs that may break in transit.  If you want to follow the rules I would use the egg shipping boxes you use for shipping within the states, place it in an aluminum foil pan and put that in a \"box\" made from paneling or other thin wood stapled to a wood frame.  Of course put packaging material between everything and secure with packaging tape.
Personally I would probably bypass the \"rules\" myself and put the egg shipper in a cheap small plastic bin with a snap on lid and try to ship it.  I would think that would do everything they really are after.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 07:43:34 AM »

It will be really nice if any member from USA can send eggs to Portugal for me , than I am a true Ameraucana member .

Blue Egg Acres

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 11:09:22 AM »
Miguel, have you received eggs from the USA before? How were they packaged?

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 11:45:30 AM »

my guess is that if they are packaged to prevent breakage, and yes to contain spilage should a break occure, they will probably pass the shipping requirements..but the import/export requirements may be stricter.
check to see what health papers etc are required..and remember most postal employees dont know what is required. here  I have to remind them they have to inspect the package before shipment and the health papers must be attached to the box for shipping, (new york ag & markets rule for shipping fertalized eggs for,hatching)  so it is wise to see what your state as well as country requires before deciding on shipping, because a box of eggs delayed in impound will certainly have a negative effect on hatchability, even if the do survive the trip.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 12:14:48 PM »

I received 30 Brakel eggs from Germany , hatched 24 chicks and the pachage travelled 1 week . From France 12 Marans eggs , 7 chicks hatched and 4 days travel .

Very simple , eggs between cartoon and plastic bubbles and than the small package in a bigger cartoon pachage with news pappers balls or strow .

I exported Eggs to Brasil before and they arrived very well .

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 12:23:52 PM »

USDA link for import and export :

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/poul_hat_eggs.html

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 03:11:32 PM »

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/

Other site about import / export .